Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Choices


We are sick over here.  Well, one of us is.  

Saturday night we decided we were going to keep Cooper out of the nursery the next morning because we heard Hand, Foot and Mouth Disease was going around..and you know....we have so much going on the next couple of weeks.  Well, you guessed it. Sunday morning when Cooper got up he felt hot to the touch. Hum? Temp - yep, you guessed it 101.  I googled HFM. Yep, you guessed it again - starts with a fever.  Monday morning here come the spots... and they just keep coming....so sad for the guy.  Then if that wasn't bad enough, he starts coughing Wednesday.  Nasty cough. And if that wasn't enough.  Those two top teeth are starting to bulge white in his gums. 

My first reaction. I don't have time for this. I have a to do list longer than there are hours in the day.  I have to get us ready to move in 2 weeks.  I have tons of work to do to get ready for the end of the school year.  And life.  We have life to live..bible studies, grocery shopping, weddings, house cleaning (and you know how I like to clean when sickness invades), birthdays to plan for and celebrate, laundry, showers.  Really Lord? I don't have time for this. Sinful.

The better reaction. The honoring and glorifying to the Lord reaction.  

OK God.  I didn't expect this and actually I was praying against it and working to avoid it, but you saw fit for it to happen.  In Your Sovereignty it has come to pass.  So instead I embrace it knowing it is part of my journey.  I will open my eyes and listen carefully to what You have to teach me through this instead of clenching them shut because I don't want this. I will live in the moment and not miss it because I was busy complaining about it. 

Pray for me. 

The first reaction is natural.  The second is hard work.  

BUT if I work hard I am so much more peaceful. And the second reaction will bring joy to the Lord and my family.  God is honored by my obedience. My husband will be encouraged by my response.  And my son.  Well, he will benefit greatly.  He'll have a Mama caring for him with sincerity and empathy rather than "a-distracted-by-her-to-do-list-that-isn't-getting-done-Mama."

Can you relate?

3 comments:

Michelle said...

Yes I can! No fun & thx for the encouragement! My spotted fussy boys say hi to your spotty fussy boy! Love you!

Andrea said...

Oh Jenny, it's a bummer for any kid or adult (be cautious) to go through this! I love that you have clarified the attitude that bring God glory! I will be praying for you as you endure this trial. Miss you and your family!

Ashley Wauhop said...

thanks for sharing this. it's super encouraging and convicting! just what i needed this week.