Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Baked Mac and Cheese ** For Carol

So, I was having a hard time writing a blog following my previous post. It didn't seem right to blog about daily happenings in our lives. To be honest, I'm still reeling from the events of last week. Carol pops into my head often and I have to literally think through the process of dying. I remind myself that she is no longer here in our presence, but in the presence of the Lord. Then, I sigh and thank the Lord for the time that she was here and rejoice that she is in heaven. So there is the reason I decided to post a yummy recipe. Carol loved to cook and share a meal with friends and what better than a "comfort food" to post in her honor.

So here it is ** Baked Mac and Cheese **

lens2338568_1230066430baked-macaroni-ct-1585215-l.jpg


I know, I know ... I can hear the gasps over cyberspace. I have actually never had a bite of this delightful dish because I DON'T LIKE CHEESE! There. I said it. I am not a fan, in fact I don't ever eat it. But my cheese loving husband digs this side dish or maybe even main meal depending on the intensity of your love for cheese. I modified Betty's version of the cheesy goodness - so I guess that makes it my own...

2cups uncooked elbow macaroni (7 ounces)
1/4cup butter or margarine
1/4cup all-purpose flour
1/2teaspoon salt
1/4teaspoon pepper
1/4teaspoon ground mustard
1/4teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
2cups milk
2cups shredded or cubed cheese (8 ounces) ** I have done a mix of cheddar and a quatro blend from TJ's OR smoked gouda and parmesan

** A couple handfuls of panko bread crumbs for the crunchy top

1. Heat oven to 350ºF.

2. Cook macaroni as directed on package.

3. While macaroni is cooking, melt butter in 3-quart saucepan over low heat. Stir in flour, salt, pepper, mustard and Worcestershire sauce. Cook over medium low heat, stirring constantly, until mixture is smooth and bubbly; remove from heat. Stir in milk. Heat to boiling, stirring constanly. Boil and stir 1 minute. Stir in cheese. Cook, stirring occasionally, until cheese is melted.

4. Drain macaroni. Gently stir macaroni into cheese sauce. Pour into ungreased 2-quart casserole. Top with panko bread crumbs. Bake uncovered 20 to 25 minutes or until bubbly.


3 comments:

Matt said...

I cannot even begin to describe the utter pleasure that comes from consuming this cheesy delight. For cheese lovers around the world, this is your day. You now have access to a new part of life. And, for those Christians who are reading, eating this dish will make you long for heaven. Have I convinced you? Try it and you'll see.

Carly Jean Brannon said...

Yummy! I absolutely love this recipe! It is so tasty, I want some right now :) Thanks for posting it.

Danice said...

Yes...I gasped and then applauded my sweet "anti-cheese" friend embracing the delectable goodness of ...CHEESE! I'm making it tonight...Matt, you convinced me!