Friday, September 26, 2008

A word from the Matthew

(Matt)
At The Merage School, orientation is an opportunity for school administrators to give new students a small taste of what we're in for over the next two years. In a word: YIKES!

I've decided that international students will be the source of quite a bit of comic relief and learning here at business school. We have about 40 people from India, China, Taiwan, Japan, UK, and a few others. They've already created stereotypes for themselves: The Indians are always late, the Chinese don't work well in groups, the Japanese are always interested. I don't know that these stereotypes are actually true, but I do know that I've already come to love them all.

Our first exercise as a group was to complete a ropes course. When discussing our fears (ie: heights, small spaces, etc.), Aki from Japan announced that he is deathly afraid of ducks. DUCKS? Yes, ducks. So, Jenny and I have decided we will not be taking him to visit the duck reserve in Santa Barbara. So what's your biggest fear? Take our poll and let us know!

6 comments:

Abby and Andrew said...

Hey guys! So glad you decided to start blogging :)Hope all is well with you, good luck in school Matt!

Abby and Andrew
www.abbyandandrew.blogspot.com

Adeline Mae said...

We were so glad to see you yesterday. Hope to visit again soon! Just so you know, I voted for ducks!

Jini Keasling said...

Ah, I guess your excursions around the world this summer prepared you for your international experiences this fall in Biz School! You're perfect for it.
I'll have to connect w/ y'all when I head down to visit my folks in Laguna. I think you're close.

Oh and fears: real bird feathers, vacant parks, and male clowns. All's not quite right w/ those things. Not sure why. (or maybe all's not quite right w/ me:)

Julie Gebhards said...

Ducks??? Wow, I've never heard that one! I'd have to go with spiders. I can kill rattlesnakes, hold snakes, lizards, etc., but spiders give me the heebie-jeebies! You guys rock!

Ayemi said...

So if you want to upset Aki before a final, you can just say 'QUACK!!!! QUACK!!!' and he'll go screaming out the door.

Hmmmm... Spiders. big fat hairy spiders that look at you when you come at them with a newspaper. Yuck.

Michelle said...

I don't like holes...another weird phobia! Lots of little holes together, like in the wet sand at the beach! Oh, and stray dogs. I have been attacked a few times. I am determined they smell fear!