Sunday, August 2, 2009

Who is the teacher?

I took my kinders to the Library each Monday morning. One particular morning we enjoyed a story read to us (highly recommend Duck Rabbit by ) and a short activity about perspective (relates to the book). It was then time for the little guys to pick out a story to read from among the many books on the shelves. I noticed two boys, Ian and Hunter, sitting off to the side without a book to read. Thinking highly of myself, I picked a book from the shelf and walked over to ask them if they wanted me to read to them.

The sweetest voice responded, “No, thank you.”

“Oh,” I responded, feeling slightly defeated that they didn’t want me to read to them. “Well what are you doing then?”

“Well, we didn’t find a book we wanted to read, so we decided to tell our own stories,” the other sweet voice explained.

“Can I listen?” I asked.

“Sure!” and so it began. The lesson they didn’t need a teacher to teach them. Ian shared a story about a Gorilla that escaped from its cage and scared the town. Hunter told a very involved story about a Chicken that loved to read and thought ‘it is easy to read, but is it easy to tell a story?’ and so the Chicken in his story began to tell a story. When he finished Ian commented, “Wow Hunter! That was long!”

Then Faith came along and wanted to join the group: “What are you doing?” she asked.

“We are telling our own stories,” Ian replied.

“Can I try?”

“Sure!” said the ever-accommodating boys.

“I don’t know how to tell a story,” said Faith.

“Oh, it’s easy! You just say ‘Once upon a time’ and then say some stuff in between and then ‘the end!’” Ian taught.

So for the next 10 minutes of Library I sat and listened to the 3 of them trade stories back and forth. I loved every minute of it, I felt privileged to be a part of it, and again I was taught by my students. I learned to never assume I have more to offer and instead to assume I have something to learn. Thanks Ian and Hunter!

2 comments:

Danice said...

I love it...and I love even more that you took the time to listen instead of hurrying them along to follow the original plan :) You are going to be a GREAT mom someday :)

Melissa said...

I've heard that story a couple times now and never get tired of it. So precious. Those boys are adorable. I only pray that Cade has an imagination like that. I know his Auntie Jenny will read him all the books he wants and encourage him to be creative! I also know that Cade will probably be teaching us more than we can teach him. Get ready Auntie!