Thursday, September 23, 2010

Trials

Trials. I am thankful for them...no really, I am.  In fact - the other day I told Matt I wanted more.  I know this is a lesson the Lord is teaching me.  How do I know? Well, it seems like every corner I turn there is a message about trials, living in the presence of Jesus and drawing close to him.  Stuff about things that relate to trials and conversations that take me to the spot where trials are being examined.  With every message I am more and more convinced - I want more!


We are studying James with the ministry we are involved in at Compass. James barely lets you get out the gate before he hits you with this :  


Count it all joy, my brothers, when you meet trials of various kinds

Count it joy - JOY - really? I question...that can't possibly be what he means.  Maybe James is saying have a good attitude, look on the bright side, put on a happy face?? Study some more and conclude. Nope that isn't what he means, he is saying to find joy in your trials.  Rejoice, take delight, be glad!  My friends, this is possible.  I hope you believe me.  Let me do a little more convincing.  James goes on to say:

for you know that the testing of your faith produces steadfastness. 4And let steadfastness have its full effect, that you may be perfect and complete, lacking in nothing. (James 1:2-4)

The reason I can rejoice and be glad about trials is that they are good for me.  Who doesn't want to be steadfast?  I sure do.  I can rejoice because I know that God is doing a work in my life.  He has seen fit to stretch, pull, move me from comfort so that I can grow.  I want more!  I don't want to stay the same.  My goal in life is to be more like Him and if trials is what it is going to take - well then bring them on!  When I think back about the tough times in life I can see marked growth.  

I no longer react to similar situations the way I once did.  
I can encourage others who are going through what I did.  
I trust Him more to work things out.
My faith grows more and more solid.
I become less anxious about what will happen.
I know God more. 

The last is probably the greatest treasure to come from the depths of the valleys.  

I know God more.  

I have learned more about his attributes.  I long for heaven more and to be in His presence.  To the very smallest degree, I can fellowship in His suffering. With each trial He increases and I decrease (John 3:30). How is that not good? Now, don't let me fool you. I have not arrived and am not the picture of peace in the midst of a storm.  However, God in his mercy is allowing me to see trials for what they are.  A joy.

Can I get an amen?

6 comments:

Michelle said...

Wow! Amen sister! I pray that one day my faith will be like yours :)

LittleNanni said...

Wow Jenny!!!! So helpful. So straight from where we all need to be! I'm thankful for friends like you, and for my family who are faithful to remind me of God's grace and commands through trials. Count it ALL JOY!! Amen!!

Melissa said...

Sister I pray for perspective like yours. Thank you for sharing your convictions.

Danice said...

I totally hear you Jenny...for all the same reasons, I feel the same way :) Love you so much...

Debbie said...

How about AMEN with a smile! :)Love Mama

Carly Jean Brannon said...

This is why I am so thankful to be your friend! You are so faithful, and such a great example of living this out. Thank you for this reminder and encouragement! Much love, CJ