Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Give Thanks

I have two reasons for this post. The first is better than the second.

First. Matt and I have been making a concerted effort to give thanks. We are commanded by scripture to be thankful for He is good (1 Chronicles 16:34). The Lord is the giver of all good things and we are the recipients of so many! How can we not be thankful! We participated in a goal setting workshop at our church given by the leaders of Thrive, the marriage ministry we serve in. They mentioned that they have a thankful journal that they write in weekly and review as a family. We loved the idea and immediately stole it! Thanks Ryan and Chiara! When Matt and I talked about starting this habit in our marriage I immediately got excited. Something creative! I ran out to find the perfect journal and the Lord blessed my efforts. This cute black journal was on clearance at Target for $2.50! I used whatever crafty things I had to make a label and so I present Our Thankful Journal! It sits on a chair on the way up our stairs with a pen, ready to be written in and help us set out mind on things above. Oh - I'm going to go write that I'm thankful for whoever reads this blog!

Second. I started a photography class! It has been kind of interesting. A friend in the class with me described our teacher perfectly. "He is an oversharer" she said. And she is right. He shares a lot of stories. Sometimes more than he teaches if you know what I mean. But, I still feel like I'm learning more about my camera. So when taking the picture above I used the AV setting with a 4.5 F stop to make the background blurry and the subject in focus. Does it sound like I know what I'm talking about?!?!? I don't. Because when I was loading it onto the computer and saw the picture big I became confused. Why does my many megapixel camera look like it took a grainy picture? Oh no, did I do something wrong. Then I remembered...I changed the ISO to 1600 during class and he said if we did that the picture would look grainy if blown up. Yea! I am learning. Don't ask me why a 1600 ISO makes a picture grainy..it just does. And I understand if you don't want me to take a family photo that you intend to enlarge and hang over your fireplace.

4 comments:

Matt said...

I love my wife because she can get creative with anything...even a $2.50 notebook from Target. That's something to give thanks for.

And that camera stuff...I had no clue she could talk like that. $90 well spent for those photography classes!

Unknown said...

You're starting to talk the talk and walk the walk! It's like music to my ears! Your f-stop is incredibly important to the overall feel and look of your photos. I hope he is having you experiment!

Don't worry about the ISO thing, I forget about it all the time. The key for me, is to change it back to where it belongs (aka iso 100 or 200) before you put it back. I know you think it was a mistake to leaving it that high for the quite nice picture you included with this post, but it actually was the right choice because there looks to be not much light in that room. If you had been at a lower iso, I fear that your image would have been blurry because of a really slow shutter speed.

Please keep posting the picture goodness.

Debbie said...

Jenny, you crack me up! I love how you write - I get the whole picture! :)
The journal sounds inviting and should be a source of comfort and celebration.
I love you both and I am very proud of you. I give thanks to God. Much Love ~ Mama Peps

Carly Jean Brannon said...

love the book! and you're going to have to teach me your new camera tricks!