Behold, children are a heritage from the Lord, the fruit of the womb a reward. Like arrows in the hand of a warrior are the children of one's youth. -Psalm 127:3-4
The truth in this verse is becoming more and more real to me as the years go on.
Heritage :: valued objects, inheritance, legacy
Cooper is indeed a valued object. Given to us for a short time to raise and train and direct and instruct and love on and so much more. How his life takes shape and form is a heritage from the Lord. What God has taught and instructed us we hope to pass onto him in a way that he will cling to it tightly and make it his own. The ultimate goal - he would be saved and pass that onto his children. A legacy.
Arrows :: intended to fly straight, released from a bow
Cooper is an arrow in our quiver. We will one day send him out from our home, like an arrow released from it's bow, and watch him fly. Beautiful and Precious is the job of a parent. We take it seriously. We toil and rejoice, pray and discipline, laugh and cry because we understand the outcome is influenced by what happens now. We know that we can't just sit back over the next 18 or so years and hope that when that day comes he will take off and fly straight. We need to dig in and get our hands dirty, so to speak, relying on the Lord for the strength and wisdom it will take to release him with joy! As much as I want that day to be long in coming - I also wait longingly to see the man he has become.
Lord willing - he will be like his Daddy - who is like his - who both strive to be like the Lord :: heritage
----- :: -----
Cooper John, like the first song you learned at church and surprised us by singing one day, our love for you is deep and wide. Not a day goes by that your Daddy and I don't end it talking about you and how you amaze us. We are usually laughing and praying with thanksgiving that you are part of our family.
This next year will be a big one for you. You will become a brother and test your boundaries, I'm sure. You will learn to use the potty and how to count to 10 without skipping 3, 8 and 9. You will continue to learn to listen and obey and what happens if you don't.
And then there are the things we hope continue. I hope you still love to read books and play basketball. I hope you still love tractors and dancing. I hope you still love to snuggle with your Mama and run down the hall when Daddy comes home. I hope you still shout hello to friends and family, and sometimes strangers, with that infectious voice. I hope your feet stay "happy" and you continue to try new things unaware of whether you succeed or fail. I hope you still call yourself "Pooper" and use phrases like "I think so" and "How about..." But mostly, I hope you begin to understand the love of Jesus and the sacrifice He made on the cross so that you could have eternal life.
And a few photos of our boy on his birthday ::
Donut cake and Happy Birthday face time with Daddy
Present from Mama and Daddy - 4 full episodes of Mickey Mouse Clubhouse - a favorite
and a chair to match ours in the courtyard
(Note: purchased by Daddy without Mama knowing - it's a little thing he does. We secretly love it even though I give him a hard time about it!)
Off to the Splash Pad to run around with friends

Then to dinner at Islands with Grammie and Gramps
This was your idea.
I think it went something like this..
"Daddy stand right there...Pooper stand right there"
"Daddy stand right there...Pooper stand right there"
Our Sweet 2 year old Man
Showing me you are 2
(using 10 fingers because it is a little hard to just hold up 2)
(using 10 fingers because it is a little hard to just hold up 2)
Oh, little Arrow - I love you dearly.
Love, Mama










3 comments:
Sweet Wife - I can't say enough about how truly amazing and wonderful you are to have written this. Words sometimes fall short of expressing how much we love this guy, but your words are perfect.
What a blessing little Cooper John is and how blessed he is to have such God-fearing parents to raise him in the knowledge and understanding of His Savior. I loved the way you put into words the importance of this little guy in your lives and your immense love for him as a gift from the Lord. I love the picture of his & Matt's feet and him sitting in his new matching chair. Such a fun time before Reagan arrives! Can't wait to see how the Lord continues to use you and your little arrows as you bring glory to His name!
Hi Jenny! I don't have your email, so I hope your blogger comments get sent to your email account! I just wanted to let you know I am praying for you today as you make your final preparations for tomorrow. I am sure you will do great, but I know how you're feeling right about now!
Blessings to you...
Post a Comment