Ever had to make a decision? Silly question, right? Everyone has to make decisions!
Often. All the time.
If you are anything like me you could go crazy with all the options and second guess yourself after you have settled on your decision. I've realized the most important thing to me that the decisions I make are honoring to the Lord and will help me grow in my faith. It's easy to go back and forth over a decision, talk to all kinds of people, make lists, flip a coin...but the best way to make a decision is to seek the Lord and determine what path He wants me to take. I know what you are thinking - easier said than done. But it really is possible to make a decision in confidence that it was a good one.
I promise.
Recently, I had to make a decision that turned out to be pretty difficult for me. Matt and I turned to some tools from a wise man at our church who recently taught what the Bible says about decision making. They were helpful to me and allowed me to make a decision with total confidence that it was the best decision for our family and me. So, naturally I wanted to share them with you because we all need to make decisions regularly...right?!?
1. Is it sin? Sin is anything in direct disobedience to what the bible says. Sometimes this could be pretty cut and dry and other times it might be a little gray. Read the word, ask wise people. Determine if it is sin.
2. Is it strategic? Our time here is short and it is important that we make the most of it. Is the decision you are about to make a good use of the time and resources you've been given?
3. Is it wise? The key here is to remember that if you lack wisdom ask for it. Ask wise people what they think. Learn from others who have made similar decisions. Most importantly, ask God through prayer. James 1:5 says that wisdom is available to us if we ask the Lord. How great!
4. Is it exemplary? Will your decision be a good example to others? Will it benefit others?
5. Is it God's will? I know what you are thinking...ok now you lost me because how can I possibly know what God's will is. Well, the Bible tells us in 2 Thessalonians 4: God's will is that you be saved and sanctified! Because of what Christ did on the cross, God wants you to know Him and grow to be more like Him. Your decision is always best when made according to His will.
So there you have it! Let me know how that next big decision turns out!
2 comments:
Thanks, Jenny! I'm copying, pasting, and filing off this little nugget.
Jenny, I'm in stitches: what was your decision? hollybigelow@charter.net. :-) xoxoxo
Post a Comment