Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Parenting Lesson #1

I have realized that parenting lessons are going to come at me quickly and I better be ready if I only want to learn them once!  So, I thought it might be nice to share what the Lord is teaching me through being a Mama to Cooper and pray it is an encouragement to you as well!  

Here it is:
Lesson #1 - They grow and change and there is nothing you can do to stop it

Before Cooper arrived Matt and I went and did some plant shopping. We got some great new house plants and Matt spent the afternoon potting and watering them.  When he was done they looked great!  Fresh, new, the perfect size for the pots... and I came to a realization.  I didn't want them to change.  I liked the way they looked, the size they were and the flowers they had.  Well, I feel the same way to an even greater degree about my son as I do my house plants.  

{ please don't change }

I've had the Taylor Swift song, Never Grow Up, floating around in my head for the last couple of weeks.  The chorus goes like this..

Oh, darling, don't you ever grow up, don't you ever grow up
Just stay this little
Oh, darling, don't you ever grow up, don't you ever grow up
It could stay this simple

But this thinking is not right thinking.  It is not aligned with what I know to be true about God (He, in fact, is the only thing that doesn't change).  This thinking puts me in control, like I have something to do with how fast or quickly something will grow or change.  But I am not in control. Not even close to being in control.  God is. I live in the will of my Father and I can (and should) find complete rest and peace in that.


{ Cooper will change }  


This squishy face will grow into a boy and eventually a man. It is a guarantee.  And if I change my mindset to accept that, these next years will be much more enjoyable.  It is futile to hold on so tightly and wish desperately for him "to stay this little."  I need to focus instead on what is going on right now, enjoy the stage he is in and be purposeful about parenting him.  I need to redeem the time and not try to stop it.  

I am resolved, that when Taylor Swift pops into my head I will instead replace those lyrics with this truth from scripture...

Is. 26:3 "The steadfast of mind You will keep in perfect peace, because he trusts in You."

1 comment:

Lucia Metcalf said...

he will grow but you still have years until this happens! Enjoy every minute of it! And he might change but he will never stop being that handsome boy he is!