Friday, July 3, 2009

Everything I Need to Know I Learned in Kindergarten


For the past two weeks my main company has been 5 and 6 year olds. I have found the phrase “Everything I need to know I learned in Kindergarten” holds a higher value than I ever really realized. To further prove my assertion, here are a few of the truths I learned in kindergarten:

Always take a buddy! In Kindergarten you take a buddy to the office to turn in the roll, to the bathroom when nature calls or to the playground for recess. As an adult I like to take my buddy with me too. I miss him during the week while he is in Irvine and I’m in Oak Park. I would like to take him with me on walks, out to dinner or to run errands. Don’t worry, I have grown out of taking a buddy with me to the bathroom

Information is always relevant! This cracks me up! We can be talking about the sound the letter G makes and suddenly a hand shoots up and a story is bursting from their lips about how “once they lost their favorite stuffed animal.” I have been reminded to laugh, ask follow-up questions and let them tell their story, because hopefully one day they will be good storytellers! Hopefully one day they will also learn to listen to someone else telling their story and care enough to ask questions.

Never pass up a compliment! Compliments flow freely from the mouths of babes. Sometimes relevant and sometimes not, sometimes they totally make sense and other times in hopes of getting a “great job ticket.” None-the-less, they know how to say “I like!” My favorite compliments have been “I like your face” and “I liked your long hair (the day after I cut it up past my shoulders).” I want compliments to flow freely from my mouth. Genuine compliments that let others know I really care about them and appreciate them.

“Aye Aye Captain” is a worthy phrase! Our theme for summer school is the SS Educational Adventure and so to incorporate it into my classroom I created a que for when I need their attention. I say, “All hands on deck” and immediately (well almost) they reply (loudly!) with “Aye Aye Captain!” This has been hilarious! I love it – the cute little voices bellowing with a reply that lets me know they are listening. Oh how my Creator, my Captain loves to hear my voice telling Him I’m listening. Ready to do what He asks with all the enthusiasm I can muster.

Always dance on the Sun Deck! After recess the whole summer school group “dances” on the “sun deck” or the quad of the school. The music plays, the kids follow the motions and have a great time. They aren’t worried about completing their assignments or what comes next. I should be like this too! I should have fun with the blessings given to me and not be worried or anxious about what is on my to-do list or what the Lord has in store for me next.

I’m looking forward to the next half of summer school. I plan on learning as much as I plan on teaching!

2 comments:

{Melissa} said...

So sweet Jen :) That made me smile. Thank you!

Michelle said...

So cute! I like your face too!